68RFE Trans Service? Replace filters or leave them alone?

My truck just turned 100K and I am looking at doing the trans service. I bought all the fluid and Mopar filters and a friend of mine told me to keep the original filters in there because replacing them could cause premature transmission failure. I know flushing transmissions can do this but has one heard or have experience with filters causing premature failure? The trans currently shifts beautiful (especially now with EFI Live) and shows no signs of going out. What say CumminsForum? 



I'd say don't listen to your friend. Can't imagine how replacing a (old, well used, needs replaced likely) filter can do anything but good.
I think, like you, he's confusing power flushing an old trans that could be gunked up and causing some issues there


Your friend is full of it!

But, depending on what you do with your truck, you're a little late on the first service!

On the first change, especially one so late, I'd do the filters for sure.

I can tell you that the seal on the screen filter can be a booger bear to get out. The original one is still in mine after a number of filter changes.

I change every 60K, and have started skipping the filters every other change.

I figured it could not hurt anything by changing the filters but stranger things have happened. My truck is a daily driver and will see some very light towing of our camper in the summertime so no heavy hauls. 

I bought the truck used about a month ago but looking at the carfax, it appeared to be regularly maintained by the original purchasing dealer. At 97K, the engine swallowed a grid heater stud and was replaced with a factory longblock under warranty along with a new turbo, exhaust manifold and front pads/rotors. The current fluid looks good but I figured for piece of mind, I would change out all fluids just to be safe..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hater's Free-Agency Guide: Why Your Team Ain't Getting Its Top Free-Agent Target

America Ferrera, Uzo Aduba honor Immigrant Heritage Month in star-studded PSA

The Originals recap: 'Phantomesque'