Help stuck in Montana

1997 2500 5 speed 4X4
Afc live
3/8 rubber lines from tank to injection pump and return
Tork tek overflow
Egt , boost, fuel press gauge
Boost elbow at 31
Stock timing I believe


Traveling from Florida to Idaho with about 11000 on the trailer. All was well for the first 2200 miles. Started to get real high EGT's and was falling on its face from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5. A little from to 3. Started smoking badly after shifting and took forever for turbo to catch up. By the time it does EGT,S are already going over 1200. Boost is still climbing so I believe the turbo is good. I checked shaft play and all good. I'm thinking maybe an injector went out. Fuel pressure is good at about 30

At the begging of the trip I was on a pretty good grade (long and 5%) I shifted into 4 and was able to maintain 55ish at 1000egt and about 24 boost no problem. No it would be into 1500 before I got close to that. Any help appreciated 

I was messing with it today a little. I could dial back the smoke but not the quick temp rise. I thought I remembered reading about a leaking/bad injector causing issues like this but not positive

I see little difference in towing in MT and towing in TX, so I don't think it is altitude. My guess is a boost leak from a torn boot or possibly a hole in the IC. Also check the intake manifold cover for missing bolts, I had a similar experience when one vibrated out.

Thank GAmes. Ill check those out. Would it still reach 30 psi with a torn boot or intercooler? Also forgot to add that it seemed to take a while for the EGT's to drop once back at idle. Issspro gauges. I done the majority of the work my self. Had the truck for close to 10 years

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hater's Free-Agency Guide: Why Your Team Ain't Getting Its Top Free-Agent Target

America Ferrera, Uzo Aduba honor Immigrant Heritage Month in star-studded PSA

The Originals recap: 'Phantomesque'