Exhaust Brake Use

So being new to diesels I'm still reading and learning as much as possible. I've done some searches, but didnt find the answers. So my current questions are about the EB and when & how to use it.

Is it okay to use all the time on Full Mode (towing or not)? Will using it alot negatively affect the engineturbo, DEF system, EB itself?

If using Full all the time is a good thing then what is the Auto mode for?

Thanks y'all.

I use my EB all the time. Pretty much daily. Saves my pads, sounds great and helps alot on highways and hills.

You will burn through DEF faster, at least that's what it does in my truck. Big difference in DEF use when not running EB all the time. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Using it all the time won't hurt anything, I push the button after starting the truck.
The only time you shouldn't use it is when the roads are slick, as it could cause the rear tires to slide.

Full or Auto is your preference, basically Full applies the EB when you lift from the accelerator and Auto waits till you hit the brakes. I prefer to use Full, but try them both and see which you like.

Tow/Haul makes either mode more effective as it keeps the RPM higher, I normally only use it for towingunless I'm on Hilly/Curvy roads.


From my understanding full eb is designed to slow u down, auto is designed to maintain your speed. I only have 4K miles so far but what I have noticed is the heavier the load u are carrying the more effective it is. I don't use mine when not towing. But should have no ill effect if u do. I just figured it may worsen fuel mileage so I don't use it unless needed


I have found that Auto will also help keep your truck from accelerating downhill. For example, going down a hill at 55 and lift the pedal, the brake will NOT engage. But if the truck accelerates (due to gravity) to 56, 57, 58, it will then engage the exhaust brake to slow the truck back to ~55 and then disengage. Think of kind of like inverse cruise control, and I find it quite useful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hater's Free-Agency Guide: Why Your Team Ain't Getting Its Top Free-Agent Target

America Ferrera, Uzo Aduba honor Immigrant Heritage Month in star-studded PSA

The Originals recap: 'Phantomesque'